Blog Archive

Thursday, December 2, 2010

We Are Pop Candy

You said it, Rally.

Hey kids, it's time for my monthly update!

About a month ago I wrote that I had a project that I would be able to share with you once I completed it.

I lied. You guys won't get to see that. Yet.

Instead, I've got a whole slew of stuff that's built up while I've been busy. It's not much, but it's still something!

First off, I found a few old recordings that I never posted online, or were featured at T_is_for_Tony and deserved a second shot here:
Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Zelda's Lullaby
Zelda: Twilight Princess - Ilia's Song
Zelda: Twilight Princess - Hero's Theme
MegaMan X 3 - Zero's Theme
MegaMan X - Intro
DBZ - DBZ Battle Theme
Secondhand Serenade - Your Call
Original - Wild Orient

Next, I'd like to talk about my current school project. The project itself was going to be a modernized retelling of "The Journey to the West". My team would have comic book-like visuals set to an audio track which included voiceovers, BGM, and sound effects. Everything would be custom made (excluding the sound effects). However, due to time constraints, and fate conspiring against us, our original idea to feature two 10+ minute episodes, ended up becoming a single 6 minute audio file based on the first half of the second episode's script.

This is what the final product sounded like.

BGM-wise, I ended up composing 4 pieces:
Warm Cold Shoulder - When composing this piece, I wanted it to sound dramatic. And since I just finished composing "Restless Ruckus" (below) before moving onto this, this track ended up catching some of that videogame music flair. This piece didn't get used in the above clip because the scene it was composed for was omitted due to time constraints.
Restless Ruckus - This piece was composed as a "battle theme" for the series. It eventually evolved into what could be considered "boss" music. When I brought this track to my teammate for review, he laughed and said that it sounded like videogame music. I lauged too because I thought the piano section sounded Breath of Fire 3-esque.
Obviously Suspicious - This track is just mood music. Nothing amazing like Restless Ruckus or Warm Cold Shoulder. This track came out rushed, and you can definately tell that.
Easy Struggle - If Restless Ruckus was going to be the "boss" track, then I needed a "generic bad guy" track. Thus, this track was born. I'm actually none too pleased with this track. It doesn't sound right to me. I think it's because the bass riff doesn't match the other instruments' sections, and the mood is too "dramatic" for boring generic bad guys. Perhaps I'll recycle this track. The piano track is still salvageable, and I think it's funny how it ended up sounding very MegaMan Legends esque (specifically, I think I subconciously based it off of one of the sub-city themes), then switched to sounding like the Song of Storms.

And that'd be about it in terms of creative content.

In other news, I've finally beaten Phantasy Star Portable 2's story mode. This game now has a special place in my heart. It's an amazing game, and I'm glad I shelled out the extra money to get it when it first came out. The only thing I don't like about this game are drop rates, the lack of non-stupid female clothing choices, and the lack of voiceovers. I really would've liked to have seen this game fully voiced like PSP1 was, since the script for this game is awesome.

*Sigh* Maybe they'll include it in the english version of Infinity.

Side-note: Oh hey, where did Elpizo go?

No comments:

Post a Comment